Comprehensive Respiratory Care (CRC) is an innovative strategy dedicated to improving health outcomes for patients living with respiratory disease in the community.
Who we are
CRC is operated by a registered respiratory therapist (RRT) who will review patients to determine what services will best suit their needs.
What we do
Comprehensive respiratory care encompasses two main services:
- INSPIRED COPD Outreach Program™ – A validated national program, focused on patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) at risk for recurrent exacerbations.
- Comprehensive respiratory education clinic – This clinic is focused on improving education and inhaler technique for patients with chronic airway disease (COPD and Asthma). Located at United Shores Health Centre in Holyrood, NL.
The INSPIRED COPD Outreach Program™
Implementing a Novel and Supportive Outreach Program of Individualized care for patients and families living with REspiratory Disease
The INSPIRED Program provides services throughout the region, dedicated to patients with COPD at a high risk of exacerbation. It is a nationally recognized program that has been validated and established in multiple locations across Canada. The program spans approximately one year and is comprised of the following:
- Four in-person or virtual visits: Members of the team visit patients/support persons either in their home setting or via virtual platform to:
- conduct assessments;
- provide and explain the COPD Action Plan;
- provide self-management education;
- connect with other allied health supports and
- discuss advanced care planning and completion of a personal directive if desired.
- Telephone follow up: a member of the team will be available to the patient/support persons for the first year following the program to monitor self-management and the need for additional follow up.
Comprehensive Respiratory Education Clinic
We offer a comprehensive respiratory care using a collaborative team-based approach. This service is provided at United Shores Health Centre, and gives patients an opportunity to meet with a registered respiratory therapist who can offer support and education for successful living with respiratory disease.
- Education – proper inhaler technique and education about specific respiratory disease.
- Self-Management – providing tools for disease self-management and improving navigation of the health system.
- Respiratory assessments – including spirometry.
Who we see
We see those who have:
- Confirmed diagnosis of moderate to severe COPD with documented PFTs (FEV1 <80% predicted, FEV1/FVC <0.7).
- Persistent respiratory symptoms despite appropriate inhaler use
- Recent severe COPD or Asthma exacerbation (emergency room visit or hospital admission)
- A need for inhaler review and education
- An interest in respiratory disease self-management
I used to feel so alone with my illness, now people check on me and I know there’s someone I can call if I’m having a problem. I would feel so much more isolated, frustrated and apprehensive without this support.
– INSPIRED patient testimony
The benefits of the INSPIRED program
The benefits of the INSPIRED program include:
- more confidence in managing symptoms;
- less anxiety and stress;
- fewer emergency department visits and hospital admissions; and
- a better quality of life.
Our program is operated by a registered respiratory rherapist who acts as a direct link between the patient, the respirologist, primary-care physician, and the health-care system.
How to access this service
Access to this service is by referral from a primary care provider or specialist.
Where we are
United Shores Health Centre
363 Main Highway
How to reach us
Telephone: 709-752-4041 (respiratory therapist)